Tahltan Band Council is seeking a self-motivated, energetic, business-minded, personable individual who is interested in managing day-to-day operations of the band, including the management of financial and human resources. Band Manager is expected to provide administrative support to Band Council and create a long-term community development plan for all our communities.
This position is located in Telegraph Creek. Salary and benefits in accordance with qualifications.
Interested individuals must have:
- A minimum Grade 12 or 5 years of management experience
- Class 5 drivers license
- Clean drivers abstract
- Clear criminal record check.
Training will be available if needed. Drop off your resume at the band office in Telegraph Creek or fax to (250) 235-3244 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org before 5 pm on or before April 9, 2015.
Thank you for your interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Job Description: Band Manager
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
The Band Manager is responsible for the management, administration and delivery of all Band programs and services in order to ensure that the needs of Band Members are met in a reasonable, effective and efficient manner.
Reporting to the Council, the Band Manager will oversee all operations of the Band. The manager will ensure that all operations are conducted in a respectful and responsible way, ensuring that all decisions and actions meet the relevant legislation, policies and procedures. He/She is responsible for all financial transactions, programs and services created and implemented by the Band Council and all staff.
The Band Manager is responsible for managing staff members and delivery of programs in the areas of social development, education, health, housing, community, O&M, economic development, capital projects and office administration. The Band Manager also acts as liaison between other government agencies and departments, private industry business and any other individuals, groups or agencies operating in the community. The Band Manager must ensure that anyone conducting business in the community are responsible to the Band, any and all legislation, policies and procedures, and Band and community members.
The Band Manager must provide records and documents to the relevant governments and agencies when requested. He/She must ensure that all business and operations are conducted in a responsible, confidential and ethical way.
Manage all operations for the Tahltan Band Council
- Ensure that all Band operations are conducted within relevant legislation, policies and procedures
- Co-ordinate development and implementation of policies
- Procedures and programs
- Supervise equipment and facility use and maintenance
- Ensure reliable filing and record keeping systems are established and maintained
- Ensure community development planning and implementation
- Other duties as needed
Manage Financial Operations
- Understand and implement all budget and funding requirements
- Be familiar with all government financial legislations, policies and procedures
- Understand and implement Band financial policies and procedures
- Develop annual budgets for Band business
- Be familiar with generally accepted accounting procedures
- Manage all financial operations including accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll
- Ensure monthly financial statements and reports are completed
- Review all monthly financial statements
- Establish and ensure internal financial controls are in place
- Monitor purchasing, tendering and other financial transactions
Manage and supervise Band Staff
- Recruit, hire and fire Band Staff along with HR committee
- Evaluate the job performance of Band Staff
- Co-ordinate training and development of staff
- Initiate corrective action when necessary
- Delegate responsibilities to staff when necessary
Manage the delivery of Band programs and services
- Oversee program delivery in the areas of office administration, education, operations and maintenance of community buildings, fire department, water systems, roads, social development, capital projects, economic development, housing and health.
- Develop proposals for program funding
- Ensure program funds are expended appropriately
- Establish and maintain program policies, procedures and standards
- Evaluate the effectiveness of programs and program delivery
Co-ordinate community development activities
- Be familiar with the community development plan
- Assist in co-ordination and implementation of the community development plan
- Evaluate the community plan and it’s implementation
- Research potential funding, programs and projects as required
Band Council Support and Administration
- Attend all Band Council meetings
- Prepare agenda, information and resources for Band Council Meetings
- Ensure minutes are maintained and circulated to Council members
- Recommend policies and procedures to Council
- Assist Council in defining it’s purpose, goals, strategies and action plan
- Ensure that all Band Council business is conducted within relevant legislation, policies and procedures
- Facilitate the exchange of information between Band Council and Band Members