The First Nations Social Development Society proudly supports First Nations communities. Part of this support is for persons of First Nations ancestry who are currently enrolled in Post-Secondary education. This FNSDS program is the GeorgeWatts Bursary.
The George Watts Post-Secondary Education Bursary Award is designed to support First Nations students who are planning for a career in social sciences and/or social work.
You are eligible to apply for the George Watts Bursary if:
- A Canadian citizen who is a BC resident and who is of First Nations ancestry;
- Enrolled as a full time student at the post-secondary level in a program of study that is a minimum of 2 years in length at an accredited university or college;
- Studying in the fields of Social Sciences or Social Work.
One award of $1500 per calendar year will be awarded to an eligible recipient for the Fall Semester.
Please note, the deadline has been extended to June 15, 2014.
To apply for the George Watts Post-Secondary Education Bursary you must submit the following:
- A completed application form: George Watts Memorial Bursary Award – Application Form
- Proof of First Nations ancestry (i.e. status number, letter of support from First Nations community, family member)
- A 500 (no more than 750) word letter of introduction that includes the following: a) Why you chose your field of study; b) Why you are passionate about this field of study and are committed to completing this program; and c) State your hopes and dreams regarding your future career and employment (Include any special circumstances that you think the Bursary Committee should give consideration to in reviewing your application)
- Proof of enrollment in a Post-Secondary Institution.
Please submit completed George Watts Bursary applications to the FNSDS mailing address:
First Nations Social Development Society
102 – 70 Orwell St.
North Vancouver, B.C.